Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A gangland chronicle or just OCD?

Amy found a doozy of a note for notesinbook's first guest post (thanks, Amy!):

I picked this one up at Aardvark Books, on Church Street in the Castro.  I was looking for a vacation read that wouldn't embarrass me in front of my smart DC friends.  This one combined a notable author name with a shiny cover.  I'm not proud of my criteria, but there it is.





















Budget constraints dictated that I only buy one book that day, so when I had narrowed down my search to two--this and something else I can't remember--I started flipping through both and found two things that tipped the decision to Glamorama.  The first was a train ticket to Berlin, dated May 22, 2009; someone else had taken this book on a trip.  The second was this note, which reads:































"Welcome back,
Everything went fine.  A worker showed up at 4 pm, checked the meter in the closet, under sink & bathroom.  He was never alone and it lasted no more than 10 min.  [Back]  Ate some nuts.  Hurry up now and have a great time tonight.
EC [?]
PS  no receipts"

My guess is that this was written by an extremely uncomfortable houseguest, asked to do a small favor for an overly-protective homeowner.  I think that EC is going to be sure to be out of the house tonight when the homeowner returns to change for the opera, but, having little money, will return to watch TV once s/he's sure the house will be empty.

No comments:

Post a Comment